Holly Willoughby of This Morning may have been overlooked for this year’s National Television Awards, but host Joel Dommett believes she will attend.
The final list of nominees for this year’s ceremony was published earlier this month, with Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly – once again – stoking anticipation that another best TV presenter award may be on the way.
While there were some famous names and series on the shortlist, from Alison Hammond to The Chase, there were some significant absences, including no appearance of Holly, former This Morning host Phillip Schofield, or Prince Harry, following his bombshell interview with ITV.
In advance of his third time hosting the NTAs, comedian Joel talked about the occasion, when he was asked what he thought of the snubs.
The Masked Singer UK host lavished praise on the ceremony, emphasising how ‘great’ it is because the winners are entirely decided by the people.
‘What’s wonderful about it, about the NTAs in general, is that it’s all voted for by the public. The long list is there and it’s got everyone on it, including myself, and it’s just all voted for by them,’ the 38-year-old said.
‘So there’s no panel that’s all sat in a row trying to sort of figure out who likes what – it’s all voted for by the public and that’s what makes it so special and that’s what makes your vote so important. So I think it’s just a true representation of where the public is right now.’
The TV personality went on to say that while Holly isn’t up for best TV presenter, This Morning is up for greatest daytime TV show.
‘It’s still lovely. Holly’s I’m sure still gonna be there on the evening and even if she isn’t, she’s represented with This Morning still nominated – it’s just absolutely amazing,’ he said.
‘It’s just a great night like, I really think it’s wonderful, and all the nominees… it’s just amazing that they’re all on that list.’
Joel also joked that, despite being the face of the NTAs, he didn’t make the shortlist for best TV presenter. A recount is required!
The soon-to-be-dad said it ‘feels amazing to be called back’ for his third consecutive year hosting.
‘I find myself very annoying. So to be invited back for a third time, I find an absolute joy,’ he shared.
‘It’s a huge huge night entirely and I like it feels like a big old party and I’m just basically the master of ceremonies and guiding it from port to port throughout the evening.
‘I just love looking at all the people having a really fun time in the audience and hopefully everyone at home having a fun time too.’
National Television Awards 2023 nominations: List in full
- Beyond Paradise
- Blue Lights
- Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
- Love Island
- Race Across the World
- SAS: Who Dares Wins
- The Traitors
- Deborah James: Bowelbabe in Her Own Words
- Lewis Capaldi: How I’m Feeling Now
- Matt Willis: Fighting Addiction
- Rob Burrow: Living with MND
- Call the Midwife
- Happy Valley
- Stranger Things
- Alison Hammond
- Ant & Dec
- Bradley Walsh
- Claudia Winkleman
- Martin Lewis
- The Chase
- This Morning
- Loose Women
- The Repair Shop
- Clarkson’s Farm
- Paul O’Grady: For the Love of Dogs
- Sort Your Life Out
- The Martin Lewis Money Show Live
- Brenda Blethyn, DCI Vera Stanhope, Vera
- India Amarteifio, Young Queen Charlotte, Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
- James Norton, Tommy Lee Royce, Happy Valley
- Judy Parfitt, Sister Monica Joan, Call the Midwife
- Sarah Lancashire, Catherine Cawood, Happy Valley
The Bruce Forsyth Entertainment Award
- Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
- I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!
- The Masked Singer
- Coronation Street
- Louis Theroux Interviews…
- Piers Morgan Uncensored
- The Chris & Rosie Ramsey Show
- The Graham Norton Show
Serial Drama Performance
- Charlotte Jordan, Daisy Midgeley, Coronation Street
- Danielle Harold, Lola Pearce-Brown, EastEnders
- Dominic Brunt, Paddy Kirk, Emmerdale
- Maureen Lipman, Evelyn Plummer, Coronation Street
Quiz Game Show
- Michael McIntyre’s The Wheel
- Richard Osman’s House of Games
- The Chase Celebrity Special
- Benjamin Chivers, Isaac, The Devil’s Hour
- Bobby Brazier, Freddie Slater, EastEnders
- Channique Sterling-Brown, Dee-Dee Bailey, Coronation Street
- Lewis Cope, Nicky Milligan, Emmerdale
- Ted Lasso
- Young Sheldon
So, what are his predictions for the evening… including whether Ant and Dec will win for the 22nd time?
While Ant and Dec ‘deserve’ to win again, Joel surmised that they must be under a lot of ‘pressure’ to maintain their winning run.
‘It’s a lot of pressure when you’re nominated anyway, but a lot of pressure when you’ve won 22 years in a row to keep winning. It must be so huge for them,’ he stated.
‘Who knows what’ll happen? Every year we’re like, “Is this the year [someone else will win]?” Really strong category again. Alison is so popular, and people love her, so who knows what can happen?’
The National Television Awards 2023 is set to air on Tuesday September 5 from 8pm on ITV1 and ITVX.
You can vote here. Voting closes at midday on the day of the ceremony.
Source My Celebrity Life.